Target group: Companies
Initiator(s): Departement Omgeving, Agentschap Natuur en Bos, Natuurpunt and Corridor
Sustainable Development Goal(s): 3. Good health8. Decent work and economic growth9. Innovation and infrastructure11. Sustainable cities and communities13. Climate action15. Life on land17. Partnerships for the goals
Priorities for change: Biodiversity
Respecting biodiversity creates many advantages for companies. By participating in this Green Deal, you can discover how investing in biodiversity can benefit your organisation’s employees, customers and brand, both in the short and long run.
- Improve natural parameters in business parks through permanent and temporary nature
- Structurally increase support for this among various target groups
- Improve employees’ well-being and boost brand approval by customers and suppliers
A Green Deal is a voluntary partnership between (private) actors and the Government of Flanders, who commit themselves to setting up a green project together. This particular Green Deal aims to increase biodiversity in business parks and to rally public support for the initiative.
The actors behind the initiative (the Environment, Nature and Energy Department, the Agency for Nature and Forests, Natuurpunt and Corridor) want to encourage companies to increase their investment in biodiversity in business parks. More than 60 companies and organisations have already signed up to this Green Deal, including Colruyt Group, IKEA Distribution, Philips Lighting, VITO, the regional landscapes and The Shift.
Through this Green Deal, companies or organisations can market themselves as front-runners. Partners get the opportunity to experiment and gain access to new tools and best practices. The learning network will also provide interesting information showing how companies can profit financially from less-intensive environmental management. (An example could be mowing the grass twice a year, instead of once every three weeks.) Finally, participating in this Green Deal can positively impact employee well-being.
As a company, organisation or city/municipality, you can get involved in this Green Deal in one of two ways:
- As participant you develop a nature-friendly management plan and/or cultivate permanent or temporary natural areas. You also follow our action plan and attend three gatherings of the learning network
- As supporter you commit yourself to taking concrete steps to support the participants and the learning network (for example through research, communication, …). You also attend two gatherings of the learning network